Barcelona Face Striker Dilemma as Hansi Flick Weighs Life Without a No. 9

Barcelona Face Striker Dilemma as Hansi Flick Weighs Life Without a No. 9

Barcelona have strengthened significantly this summer, but one major question remains ahead of the new LaLiga season: can the Spanish champions succeed without a recognised striker?

Hansi Flick's side have added Ballon d'Or winner and World Cup-winning captain Rodri from Manchester City to an already formidable midfield.

Barcelona have also strengthened their attack with the pace and width of Anthony Gordon and Karim Adeyemi, while 18-year-old Belgian winger Jesse Bisiwu has arrived as a long-term investment.

However, there is still a significant gap in the squad — Barcelona do not have an established senior number nine.

With their LaLiga campaign beginning away to Elche on Sunday, 23 August, Barcelona could enter the season without a recognised centre-forward unless they make another signing before the transfer window closes on 1 September.

Could Lamine Yamal Play as a False Nine?

Barcelona's striker shortage follows the departures of Robert Lewandowski and Ferran Torres.

Lewandowski, 37, joined MLS side Chicago Fire after his contract expired at the end of last season, while Torres moved to Paris Saint-Germain for around €50m (£42.7m).

Torres scored 21 goals in 49 appearances last season and regularly provided an alternative to Lewandowski through the middle.

Their departures have left Flick without an established senior striker in his first-team squad.

Barcelona's preferred solution has been to sign Atletico Madrid forward Julian Alvarez.

The 26-year-old Argentina international indicated during the World Cup that he would consider a move away, but Atletico have taken a firm stance over his future amid interest from Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Atletico chief executive Miguel Angel Gil Marin insisted the club would not sell Alvarez, even for €200m (£170.8m).

Flick has acknowledged that Barcelona need to address their striker situation, although he believes there are potential solutions within his current squad.

"We know we have to do something," Flick said this month, highlighting Lamine Yamal's ability to operate as a false nine and the versatility offered by Gordon and Adeyemi.

Barcelona Have Plenty of Attacking Options

Lamine Yamal has already established himself as Barcelona's attacking focal point after a remarkable season in which he scored 24 goals and won the World Cup with Spain.

However, the teenager is arguably at his most dangerous on the right wing, where his ability to isolate defenders, cut inside and create opportunities makes him one of Barcelona's biggest attacking threats.

Flick also prefers to use Lamine Yamal from the right, potentially limiting the likelihood of a permanent switch into a central role.

Dani Olmo is another option as a false nine, while Flick has previously deployed Raphinha centrally. Fermin Lopez can also operate in advanced positions and has said he is comfortable playing as a false nine.

Gordon and Adeyemi offer speed, movement and direct running, but neither fits the profile of a traditional centre-forward.

Another possibility would be for Flick to embrace a completely fluid frontline, with Barcelona's attackers constantly rotating positions rather than relying on one striker to occupy opposition centre-backs.

Such an approach could make Barcelona unpredictable and extremely difficult to defend against.

However, signing a specialist striker who suits Flick's system remains the preferred solution.

Viktor Gyokeres Among Barcelona's Striker Options

With a deal for Alvarez proving difficult, Arsenal striker Viktor Gyokeres has emerged as another potential target.

Earlier this summer, Arsenal reportedly explored the possibility of including the Sweden international in a deal for Alvarez.

Atletico's refusal to sell the Argentine could now potentially open the door for Barcelona to pursue Gyokeres instead.

The 28-year-old joined Arsenal from Sporting last summer in a deal worth up to €73m (£64m), signing a five-year contract. He scored 21 goals during his debut season in north London as Arsenal won the Premier League title.

Any move would require a substantial financial commitment from Barcelona, with Arsenal likely to demand a significant fee to consider selling Gyokeres just 12 months after his arrival.

Inter Milan captain Lautaro Martinez and Sporting's Colombian forward Luis Suarez have also been linked with moves to Barcelona.

With the transfer deadline approaching, Barcelona's management are working to strengthen Flick's attacking options.

The question is whether they can land the specialist number nine they want — or whether Flick will have to build a title defence around a strikerless system.

TAGS

  • Barcelona
  • Barcelona transfer news
  • Barcelona striker search
  • Barcelona transfers
  • Hansi Flick
  • Lamine Yamal
  • Julian Alvarez
  • Viktor Gyokeres
  • Lautaro Martinez
  • Luis Suarez
  • Rodri
  • Anthony Gordon
  • Karim Adeyemi
  • Robert Lewandowski
  • Ferran Torres
  • LaLiga
  • LaLiga transfer news
  • Barcelona news
  • Football transfers
  • Summer transfer window
Written by

Gordon

SPONSOR ADS